The Story of our trip to Spain

The Story of our 2011 trip to Spain, By Coach

Sunday 1 May 2011

Spain 2011, Day Seven

Even though we were up early it was 10:30 before we got down to the main road for the bus. Mick and Bren were behind us as they had gone back for waterproofs and Dot and I were in a shop buying batteries, when Dot saw the bus pull up at the stop. We rushed out of the shop (without getting batteries), Mick and Bren were just coming round the corner, I shouted them to get a move on, luckily another family had held the bus and we got on. Not knowing how the bus pass worked, the driver had to show us what to do, Dot had to hold the card over a sensor four times, once for each ticket. That left us with six more trips on the pass. The trip to the city was a long, round about route and the bus got very full, I hate public transport.

In Tarragona we headed straight to the market on Rambla Nova, a nice big market on a long street leading to the sea. Eventually we reached the end of the market and had a lovely sea view from the top of a cliff, I wondered why we had been going up hill toward the sea.

Castellers, Rambla Nova Market on Rambla Nova

As I am getting oder I am having trouble with highs, every time I looked over the fence, I got dizzy and had to stand back. I was glad when we made our way towards the Roman Amphitheater, the main reason I wanted to visit Trragona.

Roman Amphitheater

After we had a sit for a rest and drink of water in the shade, also a good look at the map, we set off to look round the old town. We followed the road around the outside of the old walls until we came to a gate.

Roman Walls of Tarragona Tarragona

Casa del Pretori o Castell del Rei  DSCF1461

Here we went inside the walls and as there was a small bar just inside we sat down and ordered four beers (we only stopped there to use the toilets you understand). They only had bottled beers but they were reasonably priced and after using the nasty toilets in there we had another beer. For some strange reason the lady running the bar, would not let Mick take photos inside the bar.

Beers Tarragona Bar Las Vegas

After the beers we continued inside the walls until we got to the next gate, where we popped outside but just for a look.  Then it was back inside the walls for a wander round the old streets to the cathedral.

Tarragona Walls  Watch it

By this time of day it was very, very, hot and I was feeling hungry. I did look in a couple of shops on the street leading up to the front of the cathedral but didn't fancy any of the sandwiches. Outside the cathedral we had a sit in the shade while Mick took some photos, I spotted a nice little bar right next to the Cathedral but it closed just as we decided to go in.

Street Tarragona Tarragona Cathedral

We did go in a smart little bar/restaurant just around the corner and had a beer each and apposed to the other bar we were in, this one had very nice toilets. My beer was not going down too well, in fact I wasn't feeling that good, I assumed it was the heat.

Bar Tarragona Too Hot

Next we found a large square with bar and restaurants down two sides, we walked right round and eventually picked out an eating place and sat down. The waitress came over and informed us that the food was finished, it had taken us ages to pick somewhere and it was closing, it was 14:15.

Plaza de la Font

We decided to get a snack at McDonalds and have a proper meal back in Salou in the evening, so we made for McDonalds on the main street. The market was over and the mess they had left was incredible but there was an army of cleans working to clear it up.

DSCF1494

I was still not feeling well but I didn't want to spoil it for the others but as soon as it was suggested we head back to the bus and Salou I jumped at the chance. We had to wait about 15 mins in the heat and I was very glad when we were allowed to sit on the bus, thankfully the trip back was quicker than the one there. The plan was to get off in town to find a nice place to eat on the sea front but I asked the other if it was ok to just go back to the site.

Back at the site Mick and Bren went in the bar and I went back to the room for a lie down and some water with Dot looking after me. After a about an hour I was feeling much better and we set off to find the others but they were just coming back.

We did go back in the dodgy bar just outside the site for a couple and got food from the supermarket for supper, we would have to eat out another night.

1 comment: